10 Tips for Staying in Shape at the Office
Sometimes we are too exhausted to take special time to exercise when we get home from a long day of work. Here are some tips to help you incorporate the two into the same time to save time and stay in shape.
1. Standing Desk - If you have the option stand instead of sitting while doing business in your cubicle or office. Lots of work places will allow you to have a higher up desk so that you can do your tasks efficiently while standing. Standing helps burn calories while doing your ordinary work.
2. Take the Stairs - Take the climb at work when getting to your floor rather than taking the elevator. Stair climbing is one of the best physical activities that you can do so fitting it into your normal daily activities is a great benefit.
3. Exercise Ball Chair - Opt for an exercise ball chair. These chairs will force you to stabilize yourself using your core while you sit and conduct your work activities. Stabilizing yourself with your own muscles will help burn calories and strengthen muscles.
4. Drink lots of Water - Drinking water throughout the day will help you avoid excess snacking at work helping you stay trim.
5. Exercise Break Time - Take a few moments when you are on break and do a few crunches, or push-ups. Studies show that quick short bursts of exercise can help burn more calories leading to fitness.
6. Walk to Lunch - Pick a place close to your office that serves healthy food options and walk to and from lunch. Walking burns a good amount of calories because it uses your leg muscles which are the largest muscles in the body.
7. Squats - If you get up to go to the bathroom or go to lunch do ten squats before you go, and ten when you return. Make sure to hold it in place for a few seconds to maximize the benefits and help build muscle mass.
8. Healthy Snacks - Don't keep a bowl of candy or a chocolate bar on your desk. Keep some healthy wheat crackers, or veggies and low fat dip as a snacking option throughout the work day. This will keep you filled up on less calories and avoid binging at lunch.
9. Stretch - Stretch your muscles out throughout the day. Taking a few seconds to stretch will maintain flexibility and increase your total movement for the day.
10. Walk More - Walk or bike to work. If it is too far away for this to be feasible, at least park as far away from the building as possible and walk to and from your car each day. The more movement the better.